Recipe by ellie_
We really enjoyed this simple low cal/low fat crock pot meal. The original recipe suggests to serve it over rice but we liked it just as it is with some sour cream (the original recipe suggests plain yogurt and cilantro instead of the sour cream). Recipe source: The Healthy Slow Cooker
Top Review by bangss
Turned out really well! I agree with threeovens that the yogurt is a must (all the garnishes, really).
I overcooked the cauliflower a bit (got distracted), so you didn't really notice it in the final dish. I may try just tossing the raw florets in about halfway through the day next time.
I served it over some leftover mashed potatoes, and that worked really well! Rice was great, too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into cubes
- 1 -2 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted (or 1 teaspoon ground cumin)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed (or 1/2 teaspoon ground)
- 1 -2 cup beef broth (I used 1 can or 2 cups canned broth)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt (I used canned broth so I skipped the salt) (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 -2 long green chili bell pepper, minced (I used hatch chili peppers)
- 4 cups cauliflower florets, cooked (or 1 head cauliflower, separated into florets)
- plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, slivered and toasted, garnish
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, minced, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet over medium high heat heat the oil for about 30 seconds and then add the beef, in batches, cook stirring until browned (3-5 minutes). Transfer meat to slow cooker as it is brown.
- Reduce heat to medium, adding additional oil to pan if needed.
- Add onions, cook stirring until softened (3-5 minutes) and then stir in gingerroot, garlic, cinnamon stick, pepper, bay leaves and cumin and coriander, cook stirring for one more minute or so.
- Stir in beef broth and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Season with salt, if desired. Transfer to the slow cooker, stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours. Discard bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Stir in red pepper, chili pepper.
- Stir in cooked cauliflower.
- Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes or until pepper is tender.
- Serve with yogurt, toasted almonds and cilantro if desired.