Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
An attempt to make beef barley soup, but it turned into vegetable when I forgot to buy the barley!
- 2 lbs top round steaks
- 1 lb beef rib
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 russet potatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Cut round steak and potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Heat the oil in the bottom of a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Sear the beef ribs on all sides, then brown steak cubes with the celery and onion.
- Once the meat is browned, add the remaining ingredients except the rice and bring the soup to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the rice, stir, and reduce heat so that the soup is simmering.
- Simmer for 60 minutes and adjust seasonings.
- **NOTE: Beef broth used was gluten-free and organic (Imagine was the brand) to accommodate my wife's food allergies.
Loved the recipe! I used pot roast and cut it into cubes, then dredged them in seasoned flour before browning, but the rest I followed. I will be making this again.