Recipe by KC_hockey_chick
Definitely a family favorite. There are never any leftovers!
Top Review by kvandrunen
I made this with 2 of the beef flavor Knorr Homestyle stock concentrates, one regular chicken bouillon cube, regular salt Kikkoman and Holland House brand red cooking wine, which is flavored with 1.5% salt. I agree, great flavor but way too salty. And I like salty. Not sure how switching from corn starch to flour would change the sodium level. I want to try this recipe again with reduced sodium soy, 1 beef stock concentrate and 1 reduced sodium chicken stock concentrate because Knorr doesn't have the beef flavor in reduced sodium, only chicken, and maybe an unsalted red wine. Wondering how I could desalinate my current leftovers...
- condensed beef broth (8 beef bouillon cubes)
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 cups cooked egg noodles
- substitute 1 lb of stew meat and one package of sliced white mushroom
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, Brown meat on all sides. (meat only if using mushrooms).
- Stir in consomme, wine, soy sauce, garlic and onion salt (and mushrooms). Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Blend cornstarch and water; stir gradually into meat mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add more cornstarch and water if needed to thicken gravy.
- Serve over cooked noodles.