Elegant comfort food that is perfect to serve to dinner guests. Your choice on the cut of beef to be used. Cooking times vary.
- 1 lb filet mignon (simmer about 15 mins) or 1 sirloin steaks (simmer about 30 mins) or 1 top round steaks (simmer about 1 hour and test meat for tenderness) or 1 chuck steak (simmer about 1 hour and test meat for tenderness)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced or 2 cans mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package cooked wide egg noodles
- cut meat across the grain into 1/2" strips, about 1" long.
- melt butter in large heavy skillet.
- Add mushrooms (if using fresh- if canned do not add) and onion.
- Stir until onion is tender, then remove from skillet and place on side.
- In same skillet, cook meat until light brown.
- measure 1/3 cup of beef broth and place on side.
- Stir in remaining broth, catsup, garlic and salt.
- Cover and simmer- time depends on cut of beef- see above.
- Blend reserved broth and flour to make paste.
- Stir into meat mixture.
- Add mushrooms and onion.
- Heat to boiling, stirring for about 1 minute.
- Let mixture sit to cool down.
- Slowly stir in sour cream and reheat over medium low flame.
- Serve over cooked hot noodles.