Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 50 mins
Found this recipe on the blog Full Bellies, Happy Kids. It's a great cold-weather dinner!
Make and share this Beef Pot Pie With Beer Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 4 bacon, slices coarsely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt and black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced 1/4 inch
- 3 celery ribs, sliced 1/4 inch
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 3⁄4 cup lager beer
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For stew, cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat 10 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to paper towels, using slotted spoon. Reserve fat from Dutch oven.
- Return 2 tablespoons of reserved fat to Dutch oven. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add to Dutch oven in batches; cook and stir over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to plate; reserve fat in Dutch oven.
- Add remaining reserved fat to Dutch oven. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic; cook and stir over medium heat 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with flour, stir well. Stir in beef, bacon, broth, Worcestershire sauce and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover and pop in oven to bake for 1 1/2 hours or until beef is almost tender.
- For biscuits, whisk flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough lager to make soft dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface. Roll dough into 9x6 inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into six 3 inch square biscuits.
- Remove Dutch oven from oven, increase oven temperature to 400°F Place biscuits over stew, overlapping if needed. Bake 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.