Top Review by John Sauerbeck
I made this last night and it came out perfect. A little extra labor required, but well worth it. I cut the recipe in half because there is only 2 of us. Now I have to cook again tonight because there is no leftovers.
- 6 lbs sirloin tip roast or 6 lbs steamship round
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can condensed beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a marinade with the wine, water, onion, carrots, garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt, & pepper.
- Put the meat in a bowl and pour the marinade over it.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight or longer.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and wipe with paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and brown the meat on all sides.
- Discard any fat left in pan.
- Put meat in baking pan and pour over it the beef broth, tomato sauce, and marinade.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender or to desired doneness.
- Remove meat from pan and strain juices.
- Mash onions and carrots.
- Mix cornstarch in water and stir into juices and mashed vegetables until thickened.
- Add additional salt if needed.
- Strain over the sliced meat or serve separately at table.