Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a nice stew that can be made ahead. Although the recipe states that it can be frozen, I personally would leave the potatoes out until reheating because we don't like the consistency of frozen potatoes. From Quick and Easy Weeknights.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless round steak
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 12 small red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, 1-inch pieces
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 21 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Trim fat from the steak; cut the steak into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add the steak, and cook 5 minutes or until steak loses its pink color.
- Drain well, and wipe drippings from pan with a paper towel.
- Return the steak to the pan.
- Add the thyme, garlic, and bay leaves, and cook over medium heat 1 minute.
- Add the wine and tomato paste; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the steak is tender.
- Add the mushrooms and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Combine the cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water; stir well, and add to the stew.
- Cook 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and discard bay leaves.
- Stir in the parsley, salt and pepper.
- Freeze the stew in an airtight container. Thaw in refrigerator 24 hours; cook over low heat until heated.