1/1 Photo of Beef Burgundy for the Slow Cooker
9 hrs 30 mins
Chef PotPie's Note:
Adding reduced wine to the slow cooker just before serving is the secret to making this full-bodied stew! Make sure to use the low setting on your slow cooker; the stew will burn on the high setting. Serve with boiled potatoes (the traditional accompaniment), mashed potatoes, or buttered egg noodles. From Cook's Country.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 4 lbs beef stew meat (preferably chuck)
- table salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups pinot noir wine
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- sauteed onion, and
- mushroom (for garnish)
- 1Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate and refrigerate. Pour half of bacon fat into small bowl; set skillet with remaining bacon fat aside.
- 2Dry beef thoroughly with paper towels. Season beef with salt and pepper; place half of beef in slow cooker insert. Heat skillet containing remaining bacon fat over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook remaining beef in single layer until deep brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer browned beef to slow cooker insert.
- 3Add reserved bacon fat to now-empty skillet and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, carrots, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato paste and stir until beginning to brown, about 45 seconds. Transfer mixture to slow cooker insert.
- 4Return now-empty skillet to high heat and add 1 1/2 cups wine, chicken broth, and soy sauce. Simmer, scraping up brown bits, until pan bottom is clean, about 1 minute. Transfer wine mixture to slow cooker insert.
- 5Stir bay leaves and tapioca into slow cooker insert. Set slow cooker on low, cover, and cook until meat is fork-tender, about 9 hours.
- 6When ready to serve, discard bay leaves and stir in reserved bacon. Bring remaining 1 cup wine to boil in large skillet over high heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir reduced wine and parsley into stew and adjust seasonings. Serve with sauteed onions and mushrooms on top.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Burgundy for the Slow Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 717.6
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 219.2 mg
- Sodium 1599.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 74.3 g