Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
We often have this soup on Sunday afternoons in the winter. It is quick and easy, hearty and filling. Serve it with fresh hot homemade biscuits or fresh bread. Yumm. Real comfort food.
- 1 lb ground beef, lean
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, dried
- 2 teaspoons basil, dried
- 1 cup pasta, uncooked
- 8 cups water
- Brown the ground beef in a dutch oven or heavy stock pot, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped onion and green pepper, and saute for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, tomatoes, onion soup mix, parsley, basil, water.
- Bring to a boil, add the pasta.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10- 20 minutes, until pasta is cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This was a nice, easy & hearty soup. I needed something super easy and with ingredients on hand and this was perfect! :) I made it just as directed and we did find it a bit bland for our tastes, so in the future I'll probably add chili powder, cayenne or hot sauce to give it a little more kick. Thanks for posting, Hag chef!
Lovely soup - has become one of our lunch staples! I season the ground beef with beef bouillion cubes (1 per 300 g beef) when browning it and don't need to add any additional salt&pepper. I actually prefer to omit the pasta and add e.g. another bell pepper to the soup instead! Great recipe, thank you for sharing!
I made this last weekend and my husband really liked it. He seems to love dishes with noodles in them. The french onion soup mix added a nice flavor. I did drain the beans and cooked the noodles right in the soup. It was a little on the thick side for my taste. In a pinch it was an easy dish to throw together.