Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Gooseberry Patch From Grandma's Kitchen.
Top Review by dicentra
Wow! This is really yummy. :) I had some stew meat to use up, so I cut that into tiny pieces and used that instead of the ground beef. I also didn't have green peppers, so I used about 1/3 of a jar of roasted red peppers. This gave nice flavor to the soup, but I think next time I'd prefer the green peppers. I only used 1 quart of water because I wanted a thicker soup. This worked well for me. I put about 4 servings (makes about 8-10 small servings) in the freezer, and I'm kicking myself now for adding the rice before freezing. Oops. Very tasty soup. I'll make this one again. Thanks for sharing. :)
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen black-eyed peas
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef and green pepper in a skillet; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter an a large Dutch oven; add flour, whisking until smooth.
- Cook and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in water; stir until bubbly.
- Stir in beef mixture and all the remaining ingredients, except for the rice.
- Bring mixture to a boil; cover and lower heat to simmer 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Add rice during the last 15 minutes or cooking.