1/1 Photo of Beans and Greens over Pasta
I love garlic and Parmesan cheese. Dark red kidney beans are a good source of protein. Spinach is high in vitamins. I do everything in the microwave except for the pasta, that I cook on the stove in lots of boiling salted water. Use whatever pasta you like. Penne works great as well as the fini linguine that I used here in the picture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- parmesan cheese, for passing at the table
- pasta, of your choice
- 1Start the water for your pasta.
- 2In a 3-4 quart microwavable casserole with lid put the oil in the center.
- 3Press all of that yummy garlic into the oil and cover with the frozen block of spinach.
- 4Put lid on casserole and place in microwave.
- 5Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- 6Remove from microwave and top with drained beans and chicken broth.
- 7Put lid back on dish and microwave another 10 minutes.
- 8Remove and add the pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese and slurry of 3TB of cornstarch and 4 TB cold water.
- 9Stir well.
- 10Place back in microwave (covered) and microwave another 10 minutes or until it starts to thicken a little.
- 12At this point get your pasta cooked.
- 13Check the beans and greens for taste.
- 14Add basil and black pepper to taste. Put pasta in bowls and top with beans and greens.
- 15Pass the Parmesan at the table.
- 16Serve with a loaf of rustic crusty bread and a nice crisp salad.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beans and Greens over Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.1
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 150.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 19.0 g