Recipe by luvmybge
I love garlic and Parmesan cheese. Dark red kidney beans are a good source of protein. Spinach is high in vitamins. I do everything in the microwave except for the pasta, that I cook on the stove in lots of boiling salted water. Use whatever pasta you like. Penne works great as well as the fini linguine that I used here in the picture.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- parmesan cheese, for passing at the table
- pasta, of your choice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 4 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Start the water for your pasta.
- In a 3-4 quart microwavable casserole with lid put the oil in the center.
- Press all of that yummy garlic into the oil and cover with the frozen block of spinach.
- Put lid on casserole and place in microwave.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and top with drained beans and chicken broth.
- Put lid back on dish and microwave another 10 minutes.
- Remove and add the pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese and slurry of 3TB of cornstarch and 4 TB cold water.
- Stir well.
- Place back in microwave (covered) and microwave another 10 minutes or until it starts to thicken a little.
- At this point get your pasta cooked.
- Check the beans and greens for taste.
- Add basil and black pepper to taste. Put pasta in bowls and top with beans and greens.
- Pass the Parmesan at the table.
- Serve with a loaf of rustic crusty bread and a nice crisp salad.