Recipe by Elmotoo
From Nepal, this looks like a fabulous dish for the World Tour. Mustard oil is an extremely hot, pungent oil expressed from mustard seeds and should be stored in the refrigerator and will keep for up to about 6 months. It can be used (sparingly because of the heat) in stir fries, salad dressings and marinades. Stone ground prepared mustard could be used as a substitute.
Top Review by mianbao
I like this. The ingredient combination is unusual, and the spice mixture and amounts seem just right to me. My bamboo shoot was pre-cooked, and I pre-cooked the potatoes and beans separately to make cooking simpler for me. I did use the mustard oil, which I had bought for another dish (which I made), but was a little surprised by the warning on the label "for external use only". After some research, and considering I had eaten it already with no ill effects, I used it in this dish, too. I honestly don't know how much it contributed to the flavor. But, I have to admit, the flavor is quite good.
- 1 cup bamboo shoot
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1/2-in . cubes
- 1 cup black-eyed peas, soaked overnight
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 3 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan heat oil, fry dried red chilies until dark.
- Add onions and sauté until light brown.
- Add cumin, coriander, chili powder, ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper. Fry for 1 min under low heat.
- Add potatoes to the onion mixture and sauté for 5 minutes in medium heat. Sprinkle water if it starts to burn.
- Add soaked beans, bamboo shoots, tomatoes, yogurt, and broth to the potatoes mixture; stir well. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes under low heat until potatoes are fork-tender, and the gravy has attained its desired consistency.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with rice, or roti.