Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
A sweet and sour casserole. Pennsylvania Dutch style. Makes a LARGE casserole. So you can either bake it in a 9x13 pan or 3- 1 1/2 quart casserole dishes (1 to heat or take to a potluck, 2 for the freezer).
- 4 cups pork & beans or 4 cups great northern beans
- 4 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, blend
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (optional)
- 2 -3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, mix ingredients in order given.
- Lightly grease 3- 1 1/2 quart casserole dishes or 1-9x13 pan.
- Divide bean and sauerkraut mixture evenly between the baking dishes and cover with foil or lids.
- Bake for 2 hours at 350°F Adding a little water when beans seem a little dry.
- Serve as a side for meat patties or along side of baked macaroni and cheese. Might also be good over toast or rice.
This is really great! I made it vegan by using fake bakon bits