1/1 Photo of BBQ Coffee-Crusted Pork Tenderloins With Redeye BBQ Sauce
This is from Steven Raichlen BBQ USA cookbook. This just sounded so good that I had to post for safe keeping and to try it. Time doesn't include marinating time which is at least 4 hours, but even better to let it is overnight. Introduction stated: From the Deep South come Coffee-Crusted Pork Tenderloins with Redeye Barbecue Sauce.
My Private Note
cups sa ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin (2 to 3 tenderloins)
For the rub
- 3 tablespoons ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
For the Redeye BBQ Sauce
- 1You'll also need:.
- 2Butcher's string.
- 32 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably oak or mesquite), soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained.
- 41. Place a tenderloin on your work surface. Remove the silver skin (the thin, translucent, sinew-like covering on the outside) by using a knife to trim it away from the meat. About 3 inches from the end of the tail (the skinny end), make a crosswise cut, slicing about halfway through the meat. This will enable you to fold the tail back over the rest of the roast, giving the tenderloin a roughly cylindrical shape which will help it cook more evenly. Tie the tail in place with butcher's string. Repeat with the remaining tenderloin(s). Place the tenderloins in a baking dish.
- 52. Place the coffee, salt, brown sugar, paprika, pepper, garlic and onion powders, cumin, coriander, and cocoa in a small bowl and stir to mix. Sprinkle this rub all over the tenderloins, patting it onto the meat with your fingertips. Drizzle the oil over the pork and rub it on well. Let the pork marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 4 hours or as long as overnight.
- 63. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and run the grill on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium-high. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium-high, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.
- 74. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Place the pork tenderloins on the hot grate and grill until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side (12 to 16 minutes in all). To test for doneness, insert an instant-read meat thermometer into the meat: The internal temperature should be about 160 degrees F.
- 85. Transfer the grilled pork to a cutting board and let rest for about 3 minutes. Remove and discard the strings, then slice the tenderloins crosswise on a diagonal and serve at once with the Redeye Barbecue Sauce on the side.
- 9For the sauce:.
- 10Place the bacon and onion in a heavy saucepan cook over medium heat until lightly browned, 3 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the remaining ingredients and gradually bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer the sauce until thick and richly flavored, 10 minutes, whisking from time to time. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for BBQ Coffee-Crusted Pork Tenderloins With Redeye BBQ Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.5
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 132.4 mg
- Sodium 2617.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 26.2 g
- Protein 37.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: