Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
This is what my DH referred to as a bad meal gone good....it began as a light and healthy recipe I found in a magazine and after I made the sauce, it was so bad that I threw it out and started over. I changed it so much that it only bears a faint resemblance to the original. This is the result, not quite as healthy as the original - but it tastes a lot better! I have made it many times over the years - but never wrote it down until now ! So...here ya go! Hope you like it as much as my DH and kids do. :)
- 8 ounces pasta, uncooked (spaghetti, thin spaghetti, or fettucine)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can 2% evaporated milk or 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, Shredded
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, Shredded
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined, Uncooked
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, Julienned
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add flour, stirring until moistened, add milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly until smooth (works best with a whisk).
- Stir in the seasonings.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; add cheese and cook until melted and incorporated into sauce.
- Add shrimp, basil and roasted red peppers.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Drain pasta; place in a large bowl. Add shrimp mixture and toss to coat, or spoon pasta onto serving plates and serve shrimp mixture on top.
- Yield: 6 servings.