Recipe by crazycookinmama
Delicious. And makes a ton. Yummy for sure.
Top Review by AmyZoe
I found this recipe online years ago, and it's a great way to use your garden tomatoes. The time you spend in advance is well rewarded because you'll always have a spaghetti sauce on hand for a quick meal. You'll never need to purchase Ragu, and you won't want to after you try this.
- 10 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano, crushed
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon plain non-iodized salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon celery leaves, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core and chop tomatoes.
- Combine with remaining ingredients in heavy saucepan.
- Simmer 2 hours stirring often until desired consistency.
- Pour into hot jars to 1/2 inch from top.
- Wipe jar top and threads carefully with damp cloth making sure they are thoroughly clean.
- Put on lids and bands.
- Place in water canner with at least 2 inches of hot water over tops of jars.
- Bring canner to gentle boil and process 30 minutes.
- At end of processing time, remove jars to draft free area to cool at least 12 hours.
- Inspect each jar to make sure it is sealed, remove bands and wipe with damp cloth.
- Label with date and store.