2 hrs 20 mins
This is a great vegetarian dish! You may add frozen meatless crumbles in place of or in addition to the feta cheese. You can assemble this the night before to get a good head start on the next day's dinner! Adapted from Cooking Light magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large head of cabbage, cored
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 cups cooked pearl barley
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (or meatless crumbles)
- 1/2 cup dried currant (or raisins-golden are good)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1Steam cabbage head 8 minutes, cool slightly. Remove 16 leaves from cabbage. Use remaining cabbage for another use. Cut off raised portion of the center vein of each cabbage leaf(don't cut out vein). Set trimmed cabbage leaves aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cover and cook 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, stir in barley and next 4 ingredients(thorough parsley). Stir in 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/8 teaspoons pepper.
- 3Place cabbage leaves on a flat work surface, spoon about 1/3 cup barley mixture into center of each cabbag4e leaf. Fold in edges of leaves over barley mixture; roll up. Arrange cabbage wraps in bottom of a 5 quart electric slow cooker.
- 4Combine the remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoons pepper, apple juice, vinegar, and tomatoes; pour evenly over cabbage wraps. Cover and cook on High 2 hours or until thoroughly heated.
- 5Makes 4 servings.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley Cabbage Wraps With Pine Nuts and Currants (Slow Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.1
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.0 mg
- Sodium 835.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 23.7 g
- Protein 9.5 g