1/1 Photo of Barley Bean Soup
2 hrs 10 mins
This is a good, basic everyday sort of soup, great in cold weather. It is vegetarian but not only vegetarians love it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup raw pearl barley or 3/4 cup pot barley, rinsed
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup celery greens
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt free herb and spice seasoning mix
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups water
- 1 (1 lb) can kidney bean, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a soup pot.
- 2Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are golden.
- 3Add all the remaining ingredients except the last 4.
- 4Cover with the water.
- 5Bring to a simmer, and simmer gently covered for 1 hour.
- 6At this time the barley and vegies should be tender.
- 7Add the beans, parsley, and dill.
- 8Season to taste with salt and pepper, then simmer for another 30 minutes over low heat.
- 9Serve at once or allow the soup to stand for an hour or so before serving, then heat through as needed.
- 10*Asthe soup stands, it will thicken, adjust the consistency as desired with additional water, then correct the seasonings.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barley Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.1
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 387.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt free herb and spice seasoning mix