Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs 55 mins
- 1 (3 lb) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- hamburger bun
- Place beef, onion and celery in a Dutch oven; add water to almost cover meat.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; strain and reserve cooking liquid.
- Trim and shred meat; return to Dutch oven.
- Add 2 cups of strained cooking liquid (save remaining cooking liquid) and chill.
- Skim and discard fat.
- Add ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- If mixture becomes too thick, add additional reserved cooking liquid.
- Serve on hamburger buns.