Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
The original of this recipe came from The Family Circle Encyclopedia of Cooking. I have modified it to our likes. It makes the fluffiest and best Banana bread I have ever had. We love it. Makes one very large loaf or 12 muffins.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup banana, mashed (approx. 3 medium bananas)
- 1⁄2 cup ground pecans (or pieces if you like better)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- Grease a 9 X 5 X 3 inch loaf pan.
- Beat butter, sugar and eggs in a large bowl until light and fluffy; stir in bananas.
- Stir in flour mixture; fold in pecans.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
Great recipe.. I thought I would try a different banana bread recipe and this sounded like a good one....Turned out perfect...nice and high, I left out the nuts but did add the chocolate...Everything is better with chocolate!
I made this bread today and by far it blows away my own favorite Banana Bread recipe.This is my favorite now.Very moist and rises high.It's a big hit in my house now!
The addition of ground nuts sounded appealing enough to get me to stray from my own favorite banana bread recipe! Mine also has three eggs, so I knew I'd love the texture of yours. This rose up very high and I'm glad I tested the middle with a long knife. Mine baked in about an hour (my bananas were on the smaller side so I think it added to the quicker baking time). This was a very good banana bread and very easy to slice. The ground nuts added to the texture,too. I used the leftovers in my Banana Bread French recipe (posted). Roxygirl