Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A light, easy dessert. Perfect for when you are sitting around with friends.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar
- Spray 9" square baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in large bowl.
- Combine yogurt, banana, oil, egg and vanilla in another bowl.
- Pour over dry ingredients and stir gently until just blended- do not overmix.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 400 until top of cake is light brown and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan Loosen sides of cake, allow it to cool, and then remove from pan.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
I found this recipe in Bon Appetit Every-Night Cooking (2001) and have made it twice, once using light sour cream and then a small nonfat Greek yourt and light sour cream. Added walnuts too. Both times the middle of the cake was not baked. Taste is great. Any suggestions besides muffins for solving undercooked middle? My cake is also lighter than picture.
This is so wonderfully moist. The flavor improves the next day. I made this using 1 cup white flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour. The sugar was a combination of white sugar and Splenda. For the cinnamon I used Baking Spice Blend Mix. I did toss in a handful of chopped pecans. It was baked in a 9x9 inch pan and cut into 16 pieces. Perfect when you want a little something sweet to round out the meal.
This was definitely very light and easy to make, but wasn't really a favourite in the house (maybe because I strayed from the banana bread recipe that usually dominates here, lol.) It sort of lacked something flavour-wise, but it was still worth trying. Thank you!