- Ready In:
- 6 ripe oranges
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1 piece vanilla bean
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brandy
- Using a zester, remove the rind of 2 oranges.
- (if you don't have a zester, use a vegetable peeler, then cut into fine strips).
- Place these in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, and cook until slightly softened.
- Drain the peel, and return to the saucepan with the sugar, vanilla bean, and 125ml water.
- Simmer very gently until the strips become transparent.
- Peel all the oranges removing ALL the pith, then carefully segment.
- Place the oranges in a bowl.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the syrup (which will be rather thick).
- Add the liqueur and brandy then stir and pour this over the orange pieces.
- Cover and chill well.
- This looks good served in glasses with an extra thick cream.
Join The Conversation
Refreshing with a nice not too strong kick from the liqueur and brandy. You can also taste the vanilla, which makes it even more special. Another plus is that I could make this a good day in advance. I served this with several other desserts at a dinner party and several people left with the recipe...thanks Jan!!