Prep 7 mins
Cook 45 mins
You might not be able to wait until these bars are cooled before devouring them!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, very ripe and mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F; spray a 13x9 pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the bananas and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, beating a low speed just until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks and walnuts by hand; spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into 24 bars.
If you want to eat pancakes and call them cookies or of 'bars' or something, then this is the recipe for you. Followed recipe to the letter and produced a deliciously unhealthy breakfast dish rather than a dessert. I will say, as pancakes these are amazing. Pour some real maple syrup on them - not some conglomerate american crap like major syrup manufactures make using corn syrup and caramel color, and man they are good. But this recipe is for bars, so I'm disappointed. Maybe the poster should re-categorize this recipe and will reign champion of the breakfast recipe community.
Amazing recipe. I chose this because I had a party to go to, a dessert to bring and a few bananas to use up. What a wonderful success! It comes together so easily and the flavour is wonderful. There is something for everyone -- chocolate, oats, nuts! I couldn't bring myself to use all the sugar, so added only 3/4 cup each of both sugars and about 8 ounces of chocolate chips. That was perfect. Thanks for posting.
Absolutely delicious. The chocolate chunks really made the bars. It reminded me of Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream. Will be making these again, definitely!