Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
another recipe from my "stash" not tried myself..but would like to
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cream butter and sugar -- add mashed ripe banana -- set aside.
- whisk together flour, baking powder,.add to banana mixture --
- add buttermilk, baking soda and chopped walnuts -- beat well.
- add one egg at a time, mixing well after each egg --
- pour into a greased 13x9" baking pan --
- bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes -- test with toothpick inserted near the center .cool on wire rack.
- to prepare BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:.
- combine brown sugar, milk, and butter and boil 1 minute -- let cool --
- the beat till creamy -- adding vanilla and enough powdered sugar till easily spreadable --
- frost cake when cool -- .
This recipe mentions baking powder but no baking powder is listed in the ingredient list, not amount is mentioned. The frosting was tasty but runny even after adding additional powdered sugar. The cake tased good but the recipe is flawed.
Absolutely the BEST banana cake I have ever made. I wasn't crazy about the frosting at first, but LOVED it on the cake; the banana and brown sugar worked perfectly together! I definitely recommend doubling the frosting and keeping it at a pourable/spoonable icing stage. One problem in the directions... it calls for baking powder which is not listed in the ingredient list. I added one teaspoon of baking powder along with the baking soda and it worked perfectly so I definitely recommend that. I also cut 1/4 cup out of the sugar, used skim milk, and omitted the walnuts. The cake was perfectly spongy, very banana-y, and kept moist for days! I wanted something different from the usual birthday cake and am so glad I made this one! I don't even feel the need to try any of those highly rated, popular recipes now because this one is absolutely outstanding! Thank you!
This was over the top good. I loved the frosting! It was sort of carmel flavored. Got a compliment that it was probably the best he ever tasted! That says a lot. Thanks for a fantastic recipe!