Recipe by Lainey6605
This is a really moist and tasty banana bread that I've made for years. I got the recipe from my mother-in-law. Update 8/2/07: I have omitted the baking powder from this recipe since the original did not include it; it was not accidentally left out. It is my opinion that banana bread is a quick bread and, therefore, is not supposed to rise like a yeast bread.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups bananas, ripe and mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2-1 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 1/3-inch loaf pans.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in the bananas and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and add alternately with the buttermilk to the batter.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Turn the mixture into the well-greased loaf pans and bake about 1 hour, depending on your oven.
- Cool on rack.