This makes a fantastic side dish to a prime-rib beef roast or a pork roast dinner, or to any beef or pork dish! This will serve about 6 people but can easily be doubled. Use a large package of frozen pearl onions for this recipe, and also fresh pearl onions can be used, just blanch in boiling water, cool then peel.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat, then saute the onions until lightly browned (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add in balsamic vinegar and water; simmer stirring occasionally until the onions are tender (about 12-15 minutes).
- Transfer the onions to a bowl using a slotted spoon (reserve the liquid).
- Simmer the reserved liquid until thick and syrupy and reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Season the liquid with salt and pepper and a little sugar if desired.
- Transfer the onions back to the skillet and coat with the liquid.
- Add in the butter, stirring and heat slightly until the butter has melted.
- Transfer to a bowl.