Leftover Prime Rib Stew
photo by mwolach
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 10mins
- leftover prime rib roast
- 3 carrots, sliced big
- 1 onion, chopped large
- 1⁄2 cup au jus sauce
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 russet potatoes, cubed
- 2 thyme, twigs
- 1⁄3 cup barley
- Trim the prime rib and put the best parts aside. Place the bones and fat and the lesser parts into a pot, and cover with water, just enough to cover it all.
- Add 1/4 onion, as well as 1 carrot's worth of slices.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Pull out and throw away the bones, the meat should fall off, though it may need a little help. Spoon out any good meat and all the carrots.
- Pour the remaining stock into a tupperware bowl, through a sifter so the pieces are caught. Throw away these pieces.
- Refrigerate the stock for about 2 hours up to a day. Afterwards, spoon off the fat that has risen to the top and discard.
- Then pour the stock into a pot. Add meat, sliced celery, potato, remaining carrots, remaining onion, au jus, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 hours, with the lid ajar, stirring occasionally.
- Add barley and simmer for at least 45 more minutes (could be longer), stirring occasionally.
- Before serving, remove thyme twigs if you can find them. The herbs will have fallen off by now and will add flavor. Then serve with warm bread or rolls.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!