Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is Vidalia season here in the South, but Walla Walla or Texas Sweet onions will do. Just don't use regular yellow onions, they aren't sweet enough. I serve with buttery round crackers.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 vidalia onions, chopped
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Saute onions 10 minutes, or until tender.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Stir in sauteed onions.
- Spoon into a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Bake at 375% for 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve with crackers or chips of choice.
I made this for an appetizer for our cooking group luncheon. I cut the recipe in half which was easy to do and omitted the water chestnuts and hot sauce. It was very good served with the buttery crackesr with the little well in it and tortilla chips. I am making again for Bunco next week!
Love this dip! Very good to take to a party! Everyone loved it. Thanks for sharing.
I scaled this in half. An excellent dip to go with thos Ritz crackers sitting in my pantry. A GREAT TASTING DIP. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.