1/3 Photos of Baked Stuffed Lobster New England Style
Seafood stuffed lobster in the New England tradition. Recipe courtesy Jasper White
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted (for brushing)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 sprigs tarragon, leaves picked and coarsely chopped
- 2 sprigs Italian parsley, leaves picked and coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces peeled raw maine shrimp or 4 ounces raw scallops or 4 ounces cooked crabmeat or 4 ounces lobster meat, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- kosher salt or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 hard shell select lobsters (1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds each)
- 3 ounces common crackers or 3 ounces oyster crackers or 3 ounces dried cornbread, crumbled
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Melt 8 tablespoons butter in a 9-inch skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- 4Stir in the tarragon and parsley.
- 5If using raw shrimp or scallops, add them with the herbs and cook for 1 minute.
- 6Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- 7If using cooked lobster or crabmeat, remove the pan from the heat as soon as you stir in the herbs, let cool, and then add the lobster or crabmeat.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
- 9With a cleaver of chefs knife, split the lobsters in half lengthwise.
- 10Remove and discard the head sac and intestine.
- 11Remove the tomalley and the roe if present and place in a small bowl.
- 12Break into small pieces using a fork.
- 13With the back side of a knife, crack the center of each claw on 1 side only.
- 14Season the lobsters lightly with salt and pepper.
- 15On a large roasting pan or baking sheet, place the halves together to resemble a butterfly.
- 16The tomalley and roe are optional for the stuffing.
- 17If you want to include them, mix them into the seafood mixture.
- 18Gently fold the crumbled crackers into the mixture.
- 19Divide the mixture evenly between 2 lobsters.
- 20If you are serving 1 lobster per person, spread the stuffing over the center so that the lobsters look whole again.
- 21Do not pack the stuffing tightly, or it will affect the even baking of the lobster.
- 22Brush the 3 tablespoons melted butter over the exposed meat tail, stuffing and claws.
- 23Bake until the lobster is cooked through and the stuffing is crisp and golden.
- 24Bake 17 minutes for a 1 1/2 pound lobster and 24 minutes for a 2-pound lobster.
Browse Our Top Lobster Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lobster Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Stuffed Lobster New England Style
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 952.4
- Calories from Fat 684
- Total Fat 76.0 g
- Saturated Fat 42.7 g
- Cholesterol 429.8 mg
- Sodium 1484.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 36.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: