Recipe by kansbaker
This is a recipe from the new Betty Crocker "Cooking For Today". I replaced the sugar with Splenda and corn syrup with honey. I also added some Aleppo pepper flakes to sauce to kick it up. It is so good. I am going to try the sauce with a stir fry next.
Top Review by Merlot
This is a wonderful dish that is easy to prepare. It makes a very moist and tender chicken and the sauce is outstanding. A big hit in this household, for sure. Thanks so much for sharing it, Kansbaker.
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix egg and the 1 teaspoons water. Add chicken and turn to coat.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet that has a lip with Pam. In plastic bag mix flour, baking soda and cayenne. Remove chicken from egg and shake in flour bag one at a time and put on baking sheet. Spray chicken with cooking spray to moisten.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes until done.
- While baking, make the sauce. In small saucepan combine the sugar, chicken broth, lemon peel, lemon juice, corn syrup, vinegar, salt, and garlic. Bring to boil. In small bowl, mix cornstarch and the 2 teaspoons water. Add to sauce and stir to thicken. Serve with chicken.