1/2 Photos of Baked Eggplant With Portabellas and Tomato Sauce (Vegetarian)
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 5 mins
The amount listed will serve about 3-4 people although my DH and DS could eat this dish by themselves lol! you can double this recipe if desired, white button mushrooms can be replace for the portabellos. This dish will have you clammering for more, and it tastes even better the following day, but I doubt if there will be any leftovers lol! Use as much portabello mushrooms or button mushooms and cheeses as desired for this recipe, I don't bother measuring. This can be served as a side dish or a main dish, it's a pretty filling dish especially if you use portabello mushrooms!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant (peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices)
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning (or to taste)
- 2 -4 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes
- portabella mushroom, coarsley chopped (or use white mushrooms, sliced)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce (can use less tomato sauce if desired, Hunt's is the best for this!)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, divided (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1Grease a 2-3-quart oval baking dish (I use my Le Creuset cookware for this recipe!).
- 2Set oven to broiler heat.
- 3Grease a large baking sheet.
- 4Brush each side of eggplant slices with olive oil, then season lightly with salt and black pepper.
- 5Arrange the eggplant slices on the baking sheet; broil for 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
- 6In a large skillet heat 2-4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat; add in onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, chili flakes (if using) and mushrooms; saute for about 7-8 minutes, or until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates, season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- 7Spread HALF the mushroom mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- 8Arrange HALF the eggplant slices over the mushroom mixture.
- 9Top with HALF of the tomato sauce and about 1-1/2 cups of the mozza cheese.
- 10Spread the remaining mushroom mixture over the mozza cheese; top with remaining eggplant slices, then top with remaining tomato sauce.
- 11Cover and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 1 hour.
- 12Remove then sprinkle with about 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and about 1-1/2 cups mozza cheese.
- 13Return to oven uncovered for another 5-6 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- 14Let stand about 10-15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Eggplant With Portabellas and Tomato Sauce (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 895.0
- Calories from Fat 513
- Total Fat 57.0 g
- Saturated Fat 27.0 g
- Cholesterol 147.3 mg
- Sodium 2516.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 23.1 g
- Protein 51.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: