Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A coffee flavored sauce kicks the simple custard up a notch! From Better Homes and Gardens. Enjoy!
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coffee liqueur (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl use a rotary beater or wire whisk to lightly beat eggs just until mixed.
- Stir in milk, sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and the salt.
- Place an ungreased 4-1/2- or 5-cup ovenproof casserole dish or ring mold, in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- (Or, place eight 6-ounce custard cups or individual molds in a large roasting pan.) Set the baking or roasting pan on the oven rack.
- Pour the egg mixture into the mold (s).
- Pour boiling or very hot tap water into the pan around the mold to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake in a 325* F.
- oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove mold (s) from water in pan.
- Cool custard in the mold (s) on a wire rack.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours before serving.
- In a saucepan combine water, corn syrup, cornstarch, and instant coffee crystals.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Remove mixture from heat.
- Stir in the 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and, if desired, coffee liqueur.
- Cover and chill sauce in the refrigerator until serving time.
- To serve, remove custard from mold (s).
- Serve sauce with chilled custard.
- Serves 8.
this is really good and reminds me of a simple creme brulee. i cut the recipe in half for 4 servings and cooked this in my microwave in 6 oz custard cups. i cooked it on 50% power for 4 minutes, stirred them, and cooked an additional 5 minutes at 50% power. when they were set i refrigerated them for several hours,while i made the sauce, which i also microwaved. this was very quick to make in the micro, and came out perfectly. i highly recommend this method if you're in a hurry or need to save oven space when cooking a big meal.