Prep 30 mins
Cook 48 mins
This is a recipe I found on Emerils.com. Sounds wonderful - I have yet to try it.
- 20 ounces spinach, trimmed & chopped or
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach
- 2 slices bacon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon spicy whole grain mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over for shells & cartilage
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, Tabasco
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened for baking dish
- 1 cup fine fresh dried breadcrumbs
- Cook spinach in larged pot of slightly salted boiling water until wilted, about 3 minutes. For frozen spinach follow direstions on box.
- Drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
- Squeeze well to remove excess water.
- Coarsely chop the spinach and transfer to bowl.
- Fry the bacon in 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic & cook, stirring, until the onions are softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat the cream cheese, lemon juice, mustard, tarragon & Worcestershire sauce in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment or with a wooden spoon until smooth & creamy.
- Mix in the spinach and bacon mixture, then the crabmeat, artichoke herats, Jack cheese, 1/2 cuo of the Parmgiano-Reggiano, the egg yolks, 1 teaspoon of salt, white pepper, cayenne and Tabasco, if using.
- Mix well.
- Lightly butter 11"x17" baking dish or shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Pour mixture into dish.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup Parmagiano-Reggiano, the bread crumbs and the remaining salt in a food processor or electric mixer.
- Pulse 2 or 3 times to blend.
- Spread the mixture evenley over the crabmeat mixture.
- Bake until bubbly and lightly golden, 30-35 minutes.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips, toasted herbed pita points or with cocktail rye or pumpernickel bread.