Cook1 hr 30 mins
Whenever I need cooked beets, I don't boil them, I bake them. They're less messy, easier to handle and far tastier. The moisture is inside the beets, not in the boiling water. I've included 2 ways to use them.
- Baked Beets: Preheat oven to 400°.
- Trim roots and stems to 1/2", do not cut beets further!
- ;do not wash beets!
- ,if there is dirt that bothers you, wipe it off with a paper towel; moisture will cause the beets to steam and that is not what you want.
- Place beets in a casserole, cover with the lid and seal the entire casserole tightly with foil; bake at 400° for 60-90 minutes.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, remove the roots and skins; if you're using the beets whole leave the tails on, otherwise remove them; the skin can be easily slipped off with your fingers.
- Beets are ready to be used in any recipe calling for cooked beets or try one of the two listed here.
- Dressed Baked Beets: Put the skinned beets, whole, diced or sliced in a saucepan or skillet; add the butter, sugar, salt and pepper; heat and serve.
- Baked Beets in Cream: Thinly slice skinned baked beets; heat in saucepan or skillet with cream, add salt and pepper; just before serving add lemon juice.