Roasted Balsamic Beets
photo by Brenda.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash and peel the beets. Slice each beet in quarters lengthwise, and then slice each quarter into three chunks.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and place the beets on top. Drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar, and then add salt and pepper. Gently stir to coat the beets.
- Cover with more foil and roll the edges of the two layers to create a pouch for the beets. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the beets from the oven, and raise the temperature to 400 degrees. Take off the top layer of foil (watch out for steam!), and stir to mix the juices. Return to the oven and continue to cook for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm or cold, or add to a salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Not really a beet fan...but am trying to give them another shot since I haven't had them in much other than cold salads/pickled. Tried this recipe last night--they were beautiful in appearance...but I don't think the amount/variety of flavors in this roasting recipe does much for the beets. Really--by the time everything cooked, I couldn't taste the balsamic vinegar much over the flavor of the beets...and I don't use low quality balsamic. I would not use this recipe again without modifying it severely by adding more ingredients...I will keep searching for a good roasted beet recipe (Hince the 1 star...sorry :-( ).
I thought these were just okay. I really like beets, but there was nothing exceptional about this recipe. I did like the method of preparation, but not necessarily the flavor or texture of the beets after roasting. If I made this again, I would probably just keep them in the pouch at 350 until they were fully cooked.