Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Great for cold afternoons. Save this one for the fall. Toss this together at lunch and walk in to a mouth watering supper all ready at 5pm. Feeds a least 10!
- 2 lbs rump roast, cubed (can use a cheaper like chuck if you choose)
- 1 large onion
- 8 medium potatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) bagof fresh baby carrots
- 3 celery ribs
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons plain tapioca
- 3 cups v 8 vegetable juice (I prefer to use the whole can)
- 1 cup red Burgundy wine
- bay leaf
- **Options-Try adding a can of stewed tomatoes or my favorite, quarter fresh tomatoes into the mix.
- Try adding some fresh green peas for a traditional stew.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray large roaster (and I do mean large) and layer ingredients in the order listed above.
- Reduce oven temperature to 250°F; cover and bake for no less than 4 hours and no more than 7 hours.
- If you plan to cook for the entire time, I'd use more liquid.
- I've found that around 5 hours is the perfect consistency for our family.
This recipe is to die for. I loved the flavor. I cooked it in my crockpot on low for 8 hours and just used beef cubes. It was nice coming home to such a wonderful smell. Served it with a side salad and homemade bread. Didn't have any leftovers with 5 of us enjoying it. LOL