Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from one of the Moosewood cookbooks. I made a few changes to fit my own tastes.
Make and share this Baked Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup peeled and shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, to taste
- 3 -4 cloves garlic
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained (I use ones with onion, celery and green pepper)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot on medium-high heat, saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent and starting to caramelize, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the carrot and chili powder and continue to cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes more or until carrots are tender.
- Stir in the mustard, water, tomatoes, beans, vinegar, molasses and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
I had started steps 1-3 on the stove, then I put everything into my crockpot for about 6 hrs on low. It worked out perfectly and the taste was so delicious and filling. I love bean soups and this will now be put at the top of my list. Thanks.