Chef #1153139's Note:
I have a mayo phobia and was ecstatic to find an artichoke cheese dip that is completely mayo-free... This is a great recipe for parties. If making for an appetizer for a smaller gathering for 4-6 people, I would recommend scaling back the recipe and making 2/3 unless you want leftovers (which are still delicious by the way!). Serve with sliced baguette, tortilla chips, or crudites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (14 ounce) cans water-packed artichoke hearts
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumb (optional)
- 1Thinly slice remaining artichokes; pat dry.
- 2Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- 3Whisk in milk, and bring to a boil. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne, and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cheeses.
- 4Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook 3 minutes.
- 5Add thyme, garlic, and sliced artichokes, and cook for 3 minutes. Add to cheese mixture along with zest.
- 6Transfer to an 8-cup baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 7Bake until golden and bubbling, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- 8Garnish with thyme leaves.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Artichoke Parmesan Cheese Dip (No Mayo!)
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 183.6
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 31.3 mg
- Sodium 563.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 9.5 g