Recipe by Hopkins82
A yummy breakfast guaranteed to please your family and friends.
Top Review by baroth2
I made this for 100 at my church in 18"x24" pans. I did cut down on the sugar. I also made a gluten free batch and a dairy free batch. They all turned out perfectly-and everyone got to enjoy the same thing. Made it a day ahead and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Served it with a fruit salad and peameal bacon-I'm Canadian!!!. Everyone enjoyed the meal-called it decadent!! Thanks for a great recipe.
- 5 eggs
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- extra shakes cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small sauce pan, cook brown sugar, butter, and syrup until smooth (sugar dissolved and no longer grainy).
- Pour sugar mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Place apple slices and dried cranberries over syrup in baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla until completly combined.
- Take 1 inch slices of bread and dip into egg mixture to coat both sides of bread. Then lay in baking dish over apples and cranberries. Repeat with other slices until baking dish is full.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over bread in dish and spread to fill in any places that look "dry".
- Sprinkle a couple more shakes of cinnamon over bread.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Remove, let cool 5-10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and serve with homemade whip cream.
- NOTE: actual casserole can be made the night before by letting the bread mixture soak overnight and baking it in the morning.