1/2 Photos of Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp With Chunky Tomatillo Salsa and Tomato Vina
Here is a Southwestern inspired dish from Tyler Florence. Bacon-wrapped shrimp is a delicious combination as it is, but pairing it with the salsa and vinaigrette puts this recipe over-the-top! This shrimp recipe also works well on the grill. Serving it with margaritas and/or beer wouldn't be a bad idea! Note: You can make the salsa and vinaigrette ahead of time and keep refrigerated. You could also prep the shrimp and wrap with bacon ahead of time. That way, it will be a breeze when it comes time for dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tomatillos, husked, rinsed and cut in chunks
- 2 avocados, peeled and cut in chunks
- 2 jalapenos, cut in circles (remove seeds & ribs if you want it milder)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 limes, juice of
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tomato, halved, seeds squeezed out
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo (one pepper from the can)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lime, zest and juice of
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or kosher)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1Tomatillo Salsa:.
- 2For the tomatillo salsa, toss the tomatillos, avocados, jalapenos, cilantro and onion together in a large bowl.
- 3Add the lime juice and canola oil, and turn to coat; season with salt and black pepper.
- 4Turn the mixture over a few times until the avocados are slightly mashed and the salsa is creamy.
- 5Cover and refrigerate while you prepare everything else.
- 6Tomato Vinaigrette:.
- 7Puree the tomato, chipotle, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, sherry vinegar, sugar and salt in a blender until smooth.
- 8Pour in the oil and puree again until emulsified and slightly thickened.
- 11Wrap each shrimp in a piece of bacon, overlapping the ends so they stick together.
- 12Place a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle with a 1/2 count of oil and heat just to the smoking point.
- 13Lay the shrimp in the pan (do this in batches if the pan is crowded) and saute until the bacon is crisp, tossing so the shrimp cook evenly.
- 14To Serve:.
- 15Spoon a mound of the tomatillo salsa on each plate.
- 16Drizzle a pool of the tomato vinaigrette on another area of the plate and top with 5 shrimp (per plate).
- 17Garnish with the green onion and cilantro leaves.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp With Chunky Tomatillo Salsa and Tomato Vina
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 459.9
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 71.6 mg
- Sodium 731.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 12.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo
sherry wine vinegar