I love Brussels Sprouts, and these are a really nice change of pace with a great flavour. Try them...you'll like them!
- Cut ends off Brussels Sprouts and remove yellow or spotted leaves.
- Score an"X" on the bottom of each sprout to allow the bitterness to escape.
- Steam Cook or boil sprouts until tender crisp.
- Heat the next 5 ingredients over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot.
- Combine all in casserole dish and toss to coat.
- Grate fresh ground black pepper over top, and sprinkle with extra cheese and serve.
These were very good, and a nice change of pace to the original roasted brussel sprout.(which we eat regularly. I boiled them for about 4 minutes, then sliced in half and baked in oven for about 25 minutes.until roasted. Then I poured the sauce over and baked an additonal 5 minutes. Thanks for the great dish!!!
I'd like to preface this review with both my husband and I loathe brussel sprouts. Have since we were forced to eat them as little kids (although not together since we were on opposite sides of the country as little kids). However, served like this? It has changed both of our minds. My hubby who loudly proclaimed that there was no way in heck he would eat brussel sprouts, that they were vile tools of the devil, was intrigued when he saw me tossing them in bacon and onions. I did sautee 1/2 of a yellow onion with the bacon and tossed the cooked brussel sprouts in the bacon/onion/bacon fat yumminess before tossing with the sour cream and cheese. Wonderful! I may actually add brussel sprouts to the grocery list next week. I said 'may' :)
I can't wait to try this recipe. I am especially intrigued by the placement of the cut X in the bottom to cut the bitterness. I am posting this here so I will have an easier time finding the recipe when I get some brussel sprouts.