Recipe by Lainey6605
This twist on the traditional breakfast sandwich features sweet, caramelized onion and peppery arugula.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
This was really delicious and a nice change of pace from the typical egg sandwich. There were a lot of onions, and I had plenty leftover. They gave the sandwich a nice flavor with a hint of heat. I made toast in the toaster, buttered it and kept it warm in a low oven while I made the eggs. The arugula was a nice touch, and I just happened to have some fresh from the farm. Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
- 4 slices center-cut bacon
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican hot sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- sugar, dash
- cooking spray
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings; drain on paper towels.
- Add onion, water, and hot sauce to drippings in pan; cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in butter and sugar; cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Set aside; keep warm.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Place bread in pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned; set aside, and keep warm.
- Recoat pan with cooking spray.
- Crack eggs into pan, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Gently turn eggs, one at a time, cook 1 minute or until desired degree of doneness.
- Sprinkle evenly with salt and black pepper.
- Place one bread slice on each of two plates, arrange onion mixture evenly over bread.
- Place 1 egg, 2 bacon slices, and 1/2 cup arugula over each serving; top with remaining bread slices.
- Serve immediately.