Prep 10 mins
Cook 11 mins
This bistro inspired salad uses a poached egg. Recipe by Jane Black of the Washington Post.
Make and share this Bacon and Egg Salad recipe from Food.com.
- Rub inside of salad bowl with cut sides of garlic clove halves; discard them. Add frisee to bowl and set aside.
- Line a plate with paper towels.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat about 7 minutes, until it has crisped and browned, then transfer to drain on lined plate. Chop into bite-size pieces. Pour half of bacon fat from skillet (reserve for another use, if desired).
- Meanwhile, bring half-filled medium pot of water to barely boiling over medium heat. Crack egg into small bowl and gently slip into water. (You may stir water vigorously in circular motion with long-handled spoon before adding egg. That creates a whirlpool and helps egg stay neatly contained in its center.) Cook for about 4 minutes or to your desired degree of doneness. Use slotted spoon to transfer to small bowl; cover to keep warm.
- Return skillet with remaining bacon fat to medium-high heat. Add balsamic vinegar, water and sugar, stirring to combine; bring to boil and cook for 3 seconds, until mixture has thickened slightly, then remove from heat.
- Pour half the dressing over greens in bowl; toss to lightly wilt greens. Add croutons, cooked bacon pieces and remaining dressing. Season with pepper to taste and top with warm poached egg.
My sister-in-law make almost exactly the same salad using spinace instead of the frisee-I love it.