This bistro inspired salad uses a poached egg. Recipe by Jane Black of the Washington Post.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rub inside of salad bowl with cut sides of garlic clove halves; discard them. Add frisee to bowl and set aside.
- 2Line a plate with paper towels.
- 3Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat about 7 minutes, until it has crisped and browned, then transfer to drain on lined plate. Chop into bite-size pieces. Pour half of bacon fat from skillet (reserve for another use, if desired).
- 4Meanwhile, bring half-filled medium pot of water to barely boiling over medium heat. Crack egg into small bowl and gently slip into water. (You may stir water vigorously in circular motion with long-handled spoon before adding egg. That creates a whirlpool and helps egg stay neatly contained in its center.) Cook for about 4 minutes or to your desired degree of doneness. Use slotted spoon to transfer to small bowl; cover to keep warm.
- 5Return skillet with remaining bacon fat to medium-high heat. Add balsamic vinegar, water and sugar, stirring to combine; bring to boil and cook for 3 seconds, until mixture has thickened slightly, then remove from heat.
- 6Pour half the dressing over greens in bowl; toss to lightly wilt greens. Add croutons, cooked bacon pieces and remaining dressing. Season with pepper to taste and top with warm poached egg.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon and Egg Salad
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.5
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 242.3 mg
- Sodium 502.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 13.6 g