Recipe by Denibates
Not sure where I first got this recipe, but I've tweaked it enough to call it my own. Most things I make are easy to put together or I just don't have time to make them. Also, I try to go as low-fat and low-cost as possible, so all the ingredients are primarily store brand.
Top Review by ILikeSweets
i have made this twice in the past week. I thought it turned out really tasty. I ended up making my chicken in the crock pot the night before and then i made the soup in a pot on the stove instead of in the crock pot and it worked great. I didn't have any rosemary so I left that out. For the cream of chicken, I used the kind with herbs. I used the puff pastry sheets and cut out big circles to put on top of the soup. I loved the ease of using all frozen veggies. I thought it might have that weird texture that frozen veggies sometimes have but it didn't. Everyone loved it. Thanks!
- 2 lbs frozen chicken tenders
- 2 (12 ounce) bags frozen mixed vegetables (thawed and drained)
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen chopped onions
- 2 cups frozen southern style hash brown potatoes
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) box fat free cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste if desired
- 1 (15 ounce) box refrigerated pie crusts
Directions See How It's Made
- .Preheat oven according to directions on pie crust box.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Tear pie crusts into small pieces arranged on cookie sheet (or cut neatly if you must) and bake until golden.
- Allow to cool then seal in an air-tight bowl.
- Fill a large pot with water and frozen chicken tenders.
- Boil until done.
- Drain, allow to cool, and cube.
- While preparing chicken, combine soup, cream cheese, milk, and broth in your crock-pot on the high setting, blending well. (Add liquids slowly and gradually to control the thickness of the broth.).
- Fold in all spices, veggies and cooked, cubed chicken to mixture in crock-pot. (At this point I check my seasonings and make necessary adjustments.).
- Allow to simmer on high for an hour, or switch your crock-pot to its lowest setting and have it when you get home from work.
- When serving, sprinkle pie crust pieces on top.
- Also think of other flavor combinations -- you can do this with beef, turkey, pork or shrimp and it's still awesome. Add cheeses, other spices, other veggies, mushrooms, or even walnuts to vary.