Recipe by MaMa's Apprentice
Two days may seem like an awful long time to marinate but I promise you it is worth it! This recipe was given to me by my Hawaiian friend, Norm. It is an authentic, no fail, super yummy way to prepare teriyaki. I have used this same recipe for anywhere from 2-6 lbs. of meat.
Top Review by Ilovemy4kids
Made this for my daughter so scaled the recipe down... she loved it very much. I marinated it for a little over 48 hours, and then instead of grilling , we used chicken, I cooked everything in a pan with no oil. Just cooked till sauce turned into a glaze.. lovely. Thank you for sharing.
- 2 1⁄2 cups soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 8 ounces gingerroot, sliced
- 2 whole bulbs of garlic, each clove peeled and smashed
- 3 lbs boneless chicken thighs
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix soy sauce, water, and sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Add green onions, ginger, and garlic to bowl.
- Add chicken pieces.
- Cover and marinate 48 hours.
- Grill chicken on low 9 minutes each side or until cooked all the way through. (Make sure to grill on low or, if broiling, broil away from the heat. The high sugar content of the marinade will cause the chicken to burn if it is cooked at too high a temperature).