1/1 Photo of Authentic Southern Fried Okra
1 Fat Chef's Note:
Traditional cornmeal coating with a trick to make it stick!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash okra and cut into 1/2 inch rounds.
- 2Put in a mixing bowl and sprinkle with flour. Shake it around vigorously to coat evenly, then bounce in a wire strainer to remove all excess. Final coat should be very light!
- 3Return to mixing bowl and add beaten egg. Stir to cover each piece of okra.
- 4Place cornmeal in zipper bag with salt and pepper.
- 5Add okra in 1 cup batches and shake until each piece is coated. Remove with something that will allow extra cornmeal to fall away. Put on a plate until all okra is coated.
- 6Fry in 1/2 inch lard or oil at 400 degrees or med-high until pieces are golden brown.
- 7Drain on brown paper or a wire rack.
- 8Salt additionally if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Southern Fried Okra
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.3
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 623.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 7.7 g