Fried Okra With Crispy Parmesan Coating
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- Clean and slice okra, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Beat egg in a shallow bowl.
- Place grated Parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl.
- Pour okra into the beaten egg.
- Stir until every okra slice is wet from the egg.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, and place into the bowl with the Parmesan cheese.
- Stir until every okra slice is covered with cheese.
- Place oil in heavy pan to at least 2" in depth.
- (I use a deep fryer.) Heat until a single slice of coated okra dropped into the oil starts sizzling.
- Add the okra to the hot oil.
- Depending on the size of the pan, you may have to do this in two batches.
- Remove when the okra slices are golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.
This is an amazing way to prepare fresh okra. Not having a deep fryer, it was cooked in a cast iron saucepan in boiling oil. The egg was beaten with about 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning in place of the salt and pepper. The okra was allowed to "dry" for a few minutes after dredging in the egg and cheese before adding to the oil. Like I said--amazing. Thanks Nan!