Simple Fried Okra
photo by Gunslingers Wife
- Ready In:
- 1 lb sliced frozen okra
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- oil, to cover bottom of skillet
- salt and pepper
- Slightly beat egg with fork in medium-sized bowl.
- Pour okra into bowl and mix until coated well with egg.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Preheat skillet on medium-high until hot then add enough oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Shake off excess flour from okra then carefully add to skillet. Flip over okra every few minutes, watching carefully so it does not burn on the bottom.
- When golden brown, drain okra on paper towels. Immediately sprinkle with salt and freshly-ground pepper.
I used fresh okra from my garden, It was simple and fast and very good. i washed it and cut off both ends, and beat 1 egg and set it soak in the egg for 15 min or so, dredged it in the flour (pepper and salt and cayenne) and fried it like you would anything else. I did NOT deep fry it. I do use an iron skillet, so heat is even . Did not have to fill up my skillet with oil,
Whoever thought to put cornmeal on OKRA!!! I WANT to taste the OKRA not cornmeal! This is a great recipe and tastes FABULOUS! Thanks. I've loved Okra for 50 years I put it in my Brunswick Stew the origional stew must have it ....... If you are truly southern!!! Soooo good. I always try to get people to like it! Eather you do or don't. If you make it rite it's NOT SLIMEY!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I enjoy cooking and baking for my daughter and five sons: Heather (23), Taylor (21), Hunter (18), Blake (10), Nicholas (4) and William (2).