1/1 Photo of Auntie Heather's Awesome Picked Beetroot / Beets
My Auntie Heather in New Zealand, has been making this recipe for as long as I can remember and people have been demanding the recipe for that long too... Now it was my turn to request this treasure, because it's my most favourite beet / beetroot recipe ever. The SECRET of this recipe is simple and is the "cup for cup" rule, so for every cup of the boiled beetroot juice used, you *must* use one cup each of the sugar and vinegar. I have given the recipe for 1 cup of beet juice and depending entirely on how big a quantity you are doing at a time, you will need to increase accordingly on a per cup basis. Yield/serve size is therefore variable. How easily magic is made! There are other recipes with added extra's but this one relies on the full taste of the beetroot juice and never needs to need anything else. I searched all 20+ pages of beet / beetroot and didn't find one exactly like this. Good for salads etc but beetroot lovers have permission to just take a fork and eat a whole jar. Thanks Aunty Heather! ZWT REGION: New Zealand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place clean glass jars the oven and set the oven temp on low to warm them.
- 2Boil the beetroot / beets in water until cooked.
- 3Remove the beets from the beet juice, (reserving the juice) Slice the beets.
- 4For every cup of beet juice that you have, add 1 cup of sugar and one cup of white vinegar.
- 5Bring the juice mixture to the boil.
- 6place sliced beets into the warm glass jars and pour the juice mixture over the beets to fill.
- 7Cap with a screw top lid.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Auntie Heather's Awesome Picked Beetroot / Beets
Serving Size: 1 (639 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.1
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 82.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 111.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 108.3 g
- Protein 1.6 g