Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nicely seasoned meat topping for pizza. This recipe makes enough for several pizzas. The recipe originally came from Cooking Light magazine.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the mixture until browned, stirring to crumble it.
- Note, the pizza sausage can be frozen in zip bags for later use.
Made it, tasted it and it was great but when I had it on my pizza, it wasn't spicy enough so will add more pepper flakes next time.
Exceptional again PanNan! Thank you for giving us such great recipes AND in this case saving us money! I love the peace of mind I get knowing what goes into my food! The wine here was a great addition and gave it such flavor beyond the spices. This is a fantastic recipe and definitely a KEEPER! *Made for ZWT*
Made this for a pizza party and froze some of it. It was just as good the second time around.